Saturday, February 9, 2013

Politics and Love

A lot of what Dr. Borck said was difficult to understand, at least at first. In part, I think it was because Plato's philosophy and politics in general seem to be daunting. And also, because someone wouldn't typically think that love relates to politics. Or, at least, not directly.

Studying history in high school, I remembered reading about allies, especially when it came to World Wars 1 and 2. The countries that were on the same side of the issues being fought over would collaborate. Now, I wasn't there or anything, but I'm pretty sure these leaders didn't have little tea parties or lunch dates. Instead, it was more about working together for a common goal, or greater good. There's a saying I kept thinking about during her lecture. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

That's what I mostly took from Dr. Borck. It's not commonality or friendship that binds people, and it's certainly not love in the traditional aspect, but more of Us vs. Them. The other, or your allies, in a sense. Everyone who wasn't your enemy is your ally. We see this being repeated, in some sort of variance, throughout this course with the books and the movies. If someone isn't on their side, they're most likely an enemy, or something of the sort. This applies to every day life in the same way. The people you work with especially are the people that you have to trust and get along with and love, at least politically.

No comments:

Post a Comment